So moist and flavorful! I recommend making it the night before and letting it cool in the fridge before enjoying it the next day.
- 175 g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 175 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 175 g flour (1 and 1/3 cup) , sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Zest of 2 medium Meyer lemons
- Juice of 2 Meyer lemons
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
For the Glaze:
- about 2 tablespoons apricot jam, warmed
- 100 g (1 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- Zest and juice of 1/2 Meyer Lemon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (350F) and grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) deep round tin.
2. Measure all ingredients in one bowl and beat until combined.
3. Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and level the surface.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven until well-risen and springy to the touch.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out and letting cool completely.
6. Brush the cake with warmed apricot jam.
7. Slowly add the lemon juice to the icing sugar until you get a coating consistency. You might need a bit more or even less juice.
8. Gently spread it out with a round knife.
9. Leave it to set.
10. Decorate with the shredded orange rind.