One tip: If you want to the best vanilla madeleines, use your favorite vanilla bean paste. It makes all the difference in the world!
Ingredients (for 12-16 Madeleines):
- 100g Eggs (2 large eggs)
- 100g (1/2 cup) Sugar
- 100g (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 100g Butter & cubed, and extra for greasing (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- Whisk together eggs & sugar at high speed for 5-8 minutes until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over low heat. Use about one to two tablespoons to brush the Madeleine pan. Leave the pan in the freezer while you finish preparing the batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste to the butter and mix to combine.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a separate bowl until combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the egg and sugar mixture and fold the mixture carefully to combine.
- Slowly add the melted butter and vanilla mix a little bit at a time to the batter and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill the batter in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven at 220C (430F).
- Transfer one tablespoon and a half of the Madeleine batter into each mould if you’re using a traditional Madeleine pan. While baking, the mixture will spread and fill the mould so don’t be tempted to add more batter initially. If you’re using the scalloped molds, add about 3 tablespoons
Place a hazelnut in the center of each.
- Immediately bake for 4 minutes at 220C (430F) and for 3-5 minutes at 190C (375F). You should see the middle rising into the classic dome shape of the Madeleine. The second portion of the bake would depend on whether you used the traditional pan or bigger molds.
- Once done, immediately transfer them onto a cooling rack.
- You can sift some powder sugar on top or even fill them with salted caramel.