Probably every Lebanese’ s favorite Breakfast! This recipe makes six medium-size manakish and is perfect for the whole family to make together on a Sunday morning.
- 500 g Bread Flour
- 25 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 packet instant yeast (~7-10g)
- 320 ml water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for kneading
For the Topping: Za’atar and olive oil mix, Akkawi cheese, Kishk, etc.
1. Place the flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Make sure you initially add the salt and yeast on opposite sides of the bowl because salt in high concentrations kill the yeast and slow down the rise.
2. Add the the water gradually, while mixing with your fingers until you get a smooth dough.
3. Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled surface and knead it for at least 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover with clingfilm and let it rise for about an hour until it doubles in size.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 220C or 430F and line two large trays with baking parchment.
6. Once the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out of it by folding it on itself.
7. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. But you can definitely play around with sizes, make larger manakish or even minis!
8. Roll each piece into a thin disc and place on the baking tray, then repeat for the remaining dough pieces, placing three per tray.
9. Spread your favorite topping on top then bake at 220C or 430F for 12-15 minutes.
10. Enjoy while it is still warm and serve with tomatoes, mint, olives, and Labneh!