This recipe is for a lovely light sponge cake that I adapted from Mary Berry’s Baking Bible! It is glazed with an orange syrup and perfect to enjoy the day of.
- 175 g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 175 g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 175 g flour (1 and 1/3 cup) , sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Zest of 1 and 1/2 large oranges
- Juice of 1 large orange
For the Glaze:
- about 2 tablespoons apricot jam, warmed
- 100 g (1 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- Zest and juice of 1/2 large orange
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C (350F) and grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) deep round tin.
2. Measure all ingredients in one bowl and beat until combined.
3. Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and level the surface.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven until well-risen and springy to the touch.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out and letting cool completely.
6. Brush the cake with warmed apricot jam.
7. Slowly add the orange juice to the icing sugar until you get a coating consistency. You might need a bit more or even less juice.)
8. Gently spread it out with a round knife.
9. Leave it to set.
10. Decorate with the shredded orange rind.